>Home >Advocacy & Community Engagement >Local Church Religious Liberty Leader

Local Church Religious Liberty Leader

    Duties of the Local Church Religious Liberty Leader

    The ministry to which a person is called when he or she becomes a religious liberty leader can best be described in the following ways:

    1. Promote Liberty magazine. Help your pastor conduct the religious liberty campaign in your church. Set an example by your wholehearted support. Then encourage church members to subscribe to Liberty for themselves and give generously to send the magazine to community, state or province, and national officials and thought leaders.
    2. Communication. Provide religious liberty news through announcements. Leader can plan on having 5 minutes during personal ministries time once per quarter to give oral reports of current developments. He or she also becomes the eyes and ears for the conference and union public affairs and religious liberty directors by bringing significant items to their attention.
    3. Get acquainted with public officials. Know the state or provincial government leaders and national legislators from your area. Write to them when religious liberty issues arise. Let them know what your religious liberty concerns are in a respectful, dignified manner as befits the cause of Christ. When religious liberty issues arise, you may be asked to encourage church members to write letters to state, provincial, or national leaders, but consult with your union Public Affairs and Religious Liberty (PARL) director before writing or contacting public officials in the name of the church.
    4. Give recognition to civic leaders. When a civic official in your community takes a strong stand on upholding religious liberty, contact your union conference PARL director for assistance in recognizing the official by presenting an appropriate plaque or award at the church or in the official’s office.
    5. Community relations. Become involved in the local community. Keep a current name and address file of city and county officials including council members. Get acquainted with your city and county public servants and be sure they receive Liberty magazine. Attend their meetings to become better acquainted with the problems in your community. Keep your pastor and conference PARL director informed about major developments in your community that could affect religious freedom. Help to organize local contacts when asked to do so by your pastor or conference PARL director.
    6. Help church members. Watch for religious liberty problems among church members. Some members, especially new ones, are not aware that assistance is available to them as they face Sabbath employment problems or problems with labor unions.

    Time Commitment
    The amount of time required for religious liberty issues will vary. The leader will need to plan on four to five hours per month to carry out his or her duties.

    Resource Materials
    The following materials are available either from your local or union conference office:

    1. Contacting Your Legislator—A pamphlet with ideas for communicating with government officials. In it are suggestions for personal contacts as well as correspondence.
    2. Guidelines on Religious Discrimination—A reprint from the Federal Register. In 1980, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission published guidelines to help workers and employers find accommodations for religious observations and practices. These guidelines, although not a part of the Civil Rights Act, carry heavy weight in the courts when religious accommodation is being contested.
    3. Sabbath Problem Kit for Church Members—An aid for members with Sabbath work problems. This kit contains do’s and don’ts as well as sample letters which members can use as guides when writing to their employers. Members should use this kit in conjunction with material that has been given to their pastor.
    4. Visit AdventSource for a complete list of the latest resources available for local church leaders. You can place an order or request a catalog by calling 1-800-328-0525.